Sunday 6 December 2009

ANOMA

Since the day I became inquisitive (likely when I first took the baby step to walk and explore), I had seen my parents especially mum living a life of a pious Buddhist.

My dad, in his ignorant ways, had a messed up views and ways on religion - bordering on Taoism, Buddhism mixed with Chinese customs. Warped as it may sound, his cavalier ways had resulted in mum suffering in many manners.

Mum remained unwavered throughout. Her focused faith, simple yet profound understandings of the suttas and teachings of Buddha & Triple Gem had served her and family well.

When we carefully put her remains in the little urn, we noticed that her everything is clean and of pure white. It was also then we noticed that there are sariras - all in beautiful pink to amber red. Sariras are said to be remains of highly evolved individuals and they are physical proof that the individual has attained a level of spiritual understanding. The auras of these relics are believed to be protective and radiates loving kindness.

Through my parents, we came into contact with religion. I even sporadically ventured beyond the little circle to find out more about others such as Christianity, Islam.

Come to think of it, I have been in search for some spiritual understanding for the longest period of time. Perhaps timing, readiness, openness, right people matter.

Both sister and I only came in touch with Teravada Buddhism in recent 6 years and the concepts provided new insights that are relevant and meaningful.

I for one, am in search for a teacher-someone who can guide and provide explanations to the Dharma.

Bhante Indasara is a great and compassionate teacher with a wealth of knowledge. He resides in Sri Lanka and heads the University.

Bhante Mahinda is a much learned teacher and he too resides in SL.

Other Venerables come and go.

Ah.... Does one receive when one seek?

Time will tell.

And Bhante Indasara. I am grateful for him. He has been around giving me the guidance, advice and comfort. Still does despite the physical distance.

And he has chosen with care, a good and meaningful Buddhist name that relates to me as a person....

ANOMA...

The beautiful meaning of which shall reside deep and with care within my heart..

Thanks Bhante...

No comments: