Saturday 19 June 2010

Heavy Downpour and Flood

Recently, the heavy downpour resulted in massive flood in Orchard Road and Bukit Timah. Pictures of people cutting through the water with care, cars stalled in the middle of nowhere and goods floating on flowing water brought back some childhood memories.

When we were staying in Paya Lebar, we thought drainage was ample but flood was a common sight when there was heavy rain. The water that flowed along the stretch of main road was muddy and the kids would giggled and played with the water in delight.

Owners of little business like mobile kok kok mee stall or bread stall would stare at the sky with resignation as earnings for the day would be compromised to a great extent.

On such days, I would plead with mum to give me a day of absence from school but she would never agree to it. Education was of utmost importance to her and she knew that without it, we would never have that chance to make a difference in our lives.

I was terrified of the water. But mum would tell me " My dear, do not be afraid. I will be guiding you across the water and bring you safely to the bus-stop".

True to her words, her strong arms would hold me tight, her body would carefully shield me from facing the water when crossing through the drains.

Everything seemed calm with no anxieties. The unbelievable sense of safety and unconditional love simply enveloped all around me. There was no more fear.

This was one of the greatest feeling I have ever experienced and till today, I am grateful to mum for showering me with this warmth.

Thank you mummy... And I sincerely hope that... this precious feeling is something I have ever given to my loved ones, at least once in his or her encounter with me....

No comments: